Born Drury Curzon Holden on 3 January 1830 at Aston Lodge in Aston-on-Trent being the second son of William Drury Holden has wife Caroline. The Lowe surname was adopted
when the elder Holden inherited Denby and Locko estates of the Drury Lowe family on his father's death in 1844.

He was educated privately at his home, Locko Park, near Spondon in Derbyshire, before gaining a Baccalaureate at Corpus Christi College, Oxford. He joined the 17th Lancers in
1854 as a Cornet. He was commissioned a Lieutenant in November 1854 and Captain in November 1856.

He served in the Crimean War at the Battle of Chernaya River and was at the Siege of Sevastopol when it fell. He also saw service in the Indian Mutiny in 1858–1859. He purchased a
commission as Major in 1862, and was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel of the 17th Lancers in 1866. Sometime between 1862 and 1867 he assumed the surname Drury-Lowe in place
of Lowe. Commanding the 17th for 12 years – Drury Lowe is probably best remembered for leading the charge of the 17th lancers at the Battle of Ulundi at the end of the Anglo-Zulu
War. He was appointed CB in 1879. In command of the cavalry division during Woseley’s 1882 Anglo-Egyptian campaign he led the nighttime charge of the cavalry brigade at
Kassassin and later received the surrender of Arabi Pasha. He was publicly thanked in the House of Commons, and knighted on 18 November 1882. The Egyptian Campaign of 1882
would be his last active service in the field.

He was appointed as the commander of the Cavalry Brigade at Aldershot, and from 1885-1891 was Inspector-General of cavalry. He was promoted to Lieutenant-General in 1890. His
long association with his old regiment was recognized when he became Colonel of the 17th Lancers in 1892. Retiring in 1895, he was awarded the G.C.B. and then resided at Keydell
House, Horndean occasionally writing to The Times. Previously in 1876 he had married Miss Elizabeth Smith. He died on 6 April 1908.


Cabinet Photograph
Alexander Bassano - Photographer
25 old Bond Street, W., London, England
c. 1885