Patrick Carfrae Dalmahoy, pictured here in mufti, was born in Edinburgh, Scotland on 7 September 1840 the son of
Patrick Dalmahoy and Anna Callo.

He was commissioned Ensign on - 7 December 1855

Lieutenant - 27 June 1857
Captain - 22 August 1863
Major - 29 August 1871
Lieutenant-Colonel - 28 April 1873
Colonel - 1 July 1881
Major-General - 20 August 1890
Unemployed Supernumerary List (Retired) - 20 August 1890

Dalamhoy Arrived in India on 1 January 1857 and was posted to the Brigadier Shower's forces and was present at the
siege and capture of Delhi
"including most of the engagements before it walls previous to its capture" as stated in
Hart's Annual Army List. He was entitled to the India Mutiny Medal with the clasp "Delhi".

He was then appointed Adjutant of the Hamirpur District Police in October 1858.  During this time he was involved
with the mopping up of rebel units in Bundlecund at time in command of an independent column of military police.
Hart's also states that after the end of hostilities he received the thanks of the Government.

Officially listed as being attached to the Bengal Infantry after the Mutiny, he seems to have spent most of his career
commanding police forces. He was appointed Commandant of the Hamirpur District Police in October 1861. Then
District Superintendent of Police in January 1862; Assistant Inspector-General of Government Railway Police in
April 1867; Commandant of the Mhairwara Police Battalion from September 1869 to April 1871; Deputy
Inspector-General, Police Department, North-West Provinces & Oudh from October 1882 to 1885.

The 1885 edition of Hart's mentions him as serving as commandant of the Nynee Tal Rifle Volunteers.

Dalmahoy returned to Edinburgh, Scotland after retirement and resided at 13 Buckingham Terrace. He had
previously married Emily Wylly in 1868. His son by the same name would be presented the Distinguished Service
Order in 1902 while serving with the Royal Scots during the Anglo-Boer War.


Carte de Viste-sized Mounted  Photograph
Unknown Photographer
Unknown, Possibly Scottish Location
c. 1870s