|Artistically presented, this cabinet photograph depicts a young lieutenant of the Royal Canadian Artillery. He was most likely
an officer in "B" Battery which was stationed in Quebec City, Quebec. "A" and "B" Batteries were the first units of the
regular Canadian army to be raised in 1871 after Confederation. While his helmet bears the Canadian version of the Royal
Artillery helmet plate it sports an infantry style spike as opposed to the ball more commonly seen on British artillery helmets.
Blue, British style "home service" helmets were replaced in Canadian use c. 1886 with white "universal pattern" helmets.
J. E. Livernois - Photographer