|A bandsman who appears to have been a member of a Tasmanian militia unit. Photographer J. Bishop Osborne was active between about 1880 -
1890 and during that time period the "Local Tasmanian Forces" consisted of two artillery batteries and four companies of infantry in Hobart and
another battery and two infantry companies in Launceston, for a total of 634 officers and men. For a time there was also a mounted unit - the not
unexpectedly titled Tasmanian Light Horse. Images from Tasmania are quite scarce regardless of subject matter.
Carte de Visite
J. Bishop Osborne - Photographer
76 Murray Street, Hobart Town, Tasmania