Above: Private Mawson Watson Parker of the Imperial Light Infantry photographer somewhere in the field probably in the Transvaal sometime around 1901. The original
photograph was taken by an unknown South African photographer and reproduced by Sunderland photographer T. Fitzgibbon Forde sometime after Parker returned home.

Cabinet Photograph
Thomas Fitzgibbon Forde  - Photographer (Copiest)
15 Waterloo Place, Sunderland , England
c. 1901

This cabinet photograph was purchased online simply because it is an outstanding example of a British soldier on active duty in the field during the Anglo-Boer War. Naturally is came
as a pleasant surprise when it turned out to have the subject’s name – Mawson W. Parker - inscribed on the back.

Rather unusual and very Victorian names like Parker’s (his full name was Mawson Watson Parker) usually offer an easier path in researching the person in question than might
otherwise have been the case had he possessed a more common moniker.

Mawson Walker Parker was born at Sunderland, Durham, England on 6 June, 1876 to Mawson Walker Parker and the former Miss Mary Ann McBreaty.  The elder Parker made his
living as a ship’s caulker and many families listed in the 1881census for Bishopwearmouth wear the family resided at the time also made a living in trades related to sea and ships. The
census of 1891 shows the family as having moved to the nearby town of Monkwearmouth and residing at 14 Dock Street. The younger Mawson received his primary education at the
Bishopwearmouth Infants School being enrolled on 21 November, 1882.

No service records have turned up relating to Mawson Parker’s service in the Anglo-Boer War. The only solid evidence is this photograph and the medal rolls for the Queen’s South
Africa Medal (QSAM). The QSAM  medal rolls for the Imperial Light Infantry (ILI) list No. 1114 Private M. W. Parker as being entitled to the medal with clasps “
Transvaal” and
South Africa – 1901”. That this M. W. Parker is the same man as in the photo is confirmed by the medal roll which states that the medal was forwarded to his home address at 14
Dock Street, Monkwearmouth.

The Imperial Light Infantry was a ‘colonial” unit raised in Natal from the local European population so it is rather curios as to how Parker ended up as a member. His name does not
appear in the regiment’s nominal roll and many other member’s entry in medal rolls show them as being entitled to upwards of four to five clasps. Could he have been a replacement?
Additionally Parker appears to be outfitted for mounted duty in the photograph – he wears a pattern 1901 bandolier – and many members of the ILI joined various mounted units when
the ILI was disbanded in June 1901. If Mawson parker did transfer to a mounted corps – which seems to be borne out by this photograph – no information regarding which precisely
which has been found.

Parker returned home after being discharged and married Mary Eleanor Burnand in 1905. The couple had three children: Hilda (b. 1906), Arthur (b. 1907) and Walter (b. 1908). In
1911 the Parker family was living at 4 Guildford Street in Sunderland and Parker was employed as a provision merchant.

Mawson Watson Parker disappears from the local records not long afterward so I decided to do a wider search. Parker had a sister – Margaret Annie – who had moved to Australia so
I researched records down under and while not turning up anything in Australia did find an entry in the New Zealand Army WWI Reserve Rolls, 1916-1917 which listed one Mawson
Watson Parker who was employed as a farm attendant living at Forkes Street, Waverly. Further investigation turned up two burial records for a Mason Watson Parker who was listed
as having been born in England in 1875 and having passed away on 6 may, 1944. The burial took place at Anderson’s Bay Cemetery, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand.

While no definitive proof exists that the Mawson Watson Parker buried in New Zealand is the same man in out photograph but there is the possibility that they are. Research
continues…
Above: The reverse side of Mawson Parker's photograph showing the identifying inscription.