Mounted Photograph
5 1/2 Inches by 3 3/4 Inches
(13.3cm x 9.5cm)
Unknown  Photographer
Possibly Sussex, England
c. 1901
If the above is in fact correct then John Waugh Davidson's paternal grandfather may well have been Lieutenant John
Paton Davidson of the 1st Punjab Infantry - killed in action at Umbeyla Pass on 13th November 1863.

In 1901 at the age of 6 John Waugh Davidson was living with his mother in the household of his maternal grandfather
Henry R. Grimes a retired member of the Madras Civil Service.

Nothing has come to light regarding John Waugh Davidson between 1901 about the beginning of World War One
when he already held a 2nd Lieutenant's commission  in the 1st Battalion of the Royal Irish Regiment. On the 14
August, 1914 edition of the
London Gazette Davidson is listed as unattached with a pending appointment with the
Indian Army. On 5 July, 1915 he was appointed Temporary Captain in the Indian Army. He received a full promotion
to Lieutenant on 9 September, 1915 and this promotion was antedated to 1st September, 1915.

Acting Captain, 12th Cavalry, Indian Army - 25 September, 1916
Gazetted for the Military Cross - 2 April 1919
Gazetted for Order of the British Empire - 10 December, 1937

Davidson cited for the Military Cross for actions in Mesopotamia the
Gazette entry read thus:

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty at Tauq on 18th October, 1918. He reconnoitered a route through
unsurveyed hills and guided the regiment successfully round the enemy's outposts to seize a stone bridge over a river,
forestalling the enemy by a few minutes. Subsequently he led his squadron with great dash in the attack, and
pursued and captured over 20 prisoners."

Davidson was entitled to the British War and Victory Medals for his service during World War One

The London Gazette entries showing Davidson's promotions to Captain and Major have not yet been found though he
held the later rank when appointed to the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire in 1937.

Major John Waugh Davidson died just twelve days after receiving his OBE on 22 December, 1937 at Kohat on the
North West Frontier. No cause of death was mentioned. Davidson was serving with Probyn's Horse at the time of his

Once again whether or not this photograph actually depicts John Waugh Davidson is an open issue. My supposition is
based on circumstantial evidence and the possibility that who ever wrote the name on the photo's reverse - possibly
many years later - was mistaken in Davidson's middle name.