|Taken at Christmas time in 1888 and presented to close friends as a gift, this photograph depicts Henry A. Moriarty
and his wife second Harriet E. Moriarty (Avent) both of whom are identified on the reverse in their own hands. This
gentleman wears what appears to be the Naval General Service Medal with the clasp "Syria", the Baltic Medal for the
Crimean War and the Turkish Crimean War Medal. Most prominent is the Knight Commander's badge (military) for
the Order of the Bath.
This man this almost certainly Henry Augustus Moriarty (b. 1806) the son of Commander James Moriarty, R.N., by his
wife Catherine Webbwho took part in both the 1857 trans-Atlantic cable laying attempt as Master of the HMS
Agememnon and in the Great Eastern's 1865 attempt.
I have uncovered the following information about Henry A. Moriarty's naval career:
Promoted to Master and appointed to the HMS Vesuvius - 6 September, 1844
Appointed Master of HMS Devastation - 6 March, 1846
Appointed Master of steam frigate HMS Dragon - 5 August, 1850
Appointed Master HMS Retribution - 9 August, 1850
Master and Pilot, HMS Duke of Wellington (131 guns) - February, 1853
Master-Commander, HMS Lightning, 3 guns, paddle wheel steamer (tender to the Duke of Wellington) - January, 1856
Master, HMS Agememnon - April, 1857
Staff Commander, HMS Fox, 2 screw storeship - before February, 1865
Staff Commander, resumed command of Fox after duty with the Great Eastern - August, 1865
Captain & CB, appointed Assistant Master Attendant of Portsmouth dockyard - December, 1867
Captain Henry A. Moriarty died on 18 August, 1906
He had been on a £80 per year Greenwich Hospital Penison prior to his death.
In the late 1840s Moriarty took part in the suppression of the West African slave trade.
Moriarty's service during the Crimean War (Baltic) consisted of holding the rank of Master on the HMS Duke of
Wellington where he was employed in taking soundings of the channels prior to the reduction of Bomarsund for which
he received a Mention in Despatches.
Henry Wayland - Photographer
Rembrandt House, Blackheath, England