Above: Seaman Gunner Henry Stephen Walker, Royal Navy and Private Frederick Thomas Walker 7th Hussars. In this photograph the
photographer has carefully retouched both men's hair to make it stand out a bit more. Both men are identified on the photograph's
reverse side in an ink inscription.

Cabinet Photograph
D. J. Eddy - Photographer
41 Norman Road, St. Leonard's on Sea, Sussex, England
c. 1901
Frederick's service papers while brief, show no negative entries and show him being entitled to issuances of Good Conduct Pay on two
occasions. The first was on 16 March 1901 and the second on 1 April 1904. While his final conduct status is not shown in his papers it
might be assume that it was of exemplary nature.

He was appointed paid lance corporal on 25 August 1902 and promoted corporal on 16 August 1903. Walker left active duty and was
transferred to the Army Reserve on 16 March 1906. His final discharge from the reserves took place on 15 March 1911 by which time
he had accumulated exactly 12 years of total service time.

Frederick Walker’s only overseas service took place during the Anglo-Boer War and he served in South Africa with the 7th Hussars
from 30 November 1901 until 15 March 1906 when he was transferred to the reserves. His military history sheet initially
shows him being entitled to both the Queen’s and King’s South Africa Medals but the King’s Medal entry was crossed out at later time.
The Queen's South Africa Medal roll confirms this change and show him as being entitled to the single medal with the following clasps:
Cape Colony”, “Orange Free State”, “Transvaal”, “South Africa – 1901” and “South Africa – 1902”. After the war, but while still in
South Africa Walker earned 3rd and 2nd class certificates of education in 1903 and 1904.

In 1911 Frederick Walker was employed in his home town as a postal carrier - an occupation that many former service members took up
after discharge. Curiously, while Frederick is listed as being married his wife is not enumerated on the census form. Nothing definite
regarding Frederick Walker's possible service during World War One has come to light to date.

Born on 7 August 1878 at St. Leonard’s, Sussex, Henry Stephen Walker enlisted in the Royal Navy as No. 176505 on his birthday in

His statement of service while detailed is hard to read but he appears to have served on no less than 18 vessels and shore
establishments through 1922. These include but are not limited to:
HMS St. Vincent, HMS Australia, HMS Excellent, HMS Resolution,
HMS Victory, HMS Camperdown, HMS Duke of Wellington, HMS Venom, HMS Agincourt, and HMY Victoria & Albert
He was promoted to able seaman on 1 November 1897 and then to leading seaman on 18 June 1905. Walker was reduced to able
seaman (rigger) on 22 September 1906. Promoted to petty officer on 1 October 1918, he retained this rating until discharged on 31 May

Royal Navy medal rolls for the Great War, show No. 176505 Petty Officer Henry S. Walker being entitled to the Star (not specifying
either the 1914 or the 1914-15) and the British War and Victory Medals. Applicable award criteria means that the unspecified star award
was in fact the 1914-15 Star. His statement of service shows him serving on the dreadnought battleship
Agincourt for virtually the entire
war from 4 August 1914 to from 30 January 1919.

Walker took part in the Battle of Jutland while the
Agincourt was attached to the 1st Battle Squadron, 6th Division. During the battle
Agincourt engaged an unidentified German battlecruiser and a Kaiser-class battleship. The Agincourt also evaded two German
destroyer launched torpedoes. Walker also witnessed the surrender of the German High Seas Fleet at Scapa Flow from the deck of the
Agincourt on 21 November 1918.

Walker finished out his naval career on board the royal yacht
HMY Victoria & Albert.   

Henry Walker married Alice Bertha Farndell in July 1902 at Westbourne, Sussex. The couple had two children: Stephen William
Charles (b. 1904) and Irene Constance (b. 1907). The 1939 census for Portsmouth shows Walker employed as a painter. He passed away
at Portsmouth in March 1960.